Early Connections Learning Centers is the oldest nonprofit child care organization in Colorado and is recognized statewide as a leader in the field of early childhood education. In 1897, fourteen visionary women founded the Colorado Springs Day Nursery Association, recognizing the need for child care for working women. One of the founders, Alice Bemis Taylor, donated money to build the Day Nursery to provide a permanent home for the Association. The building was dedicated o all mothers and all children in December, 1923. The Day Nursery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The Colorado Springs Day Nursery Association merged with the Child Day Care Center (now Early Connections at Antlers Place) in 1973 and became Child Nursery Centers. A third site, the Gregg Bemis Center, opened in 1974 and was relocated in 1984 to a building shared with the Boys and Girls Club (now Early Connections at South Chelton). Our Sand Creek Center opened in 1995. The Home Network, a partnership with independently-licensed home child care providers began in 2000. School-age sites in Harrison School District Two schools opened in 2008. In 2010, we changed our name to Early Connections Learning Centers. Though it was difficult to part with the history and tradition associated with Child Nursery Centers, it had become apparent that we needed a new name that better reflected our broad range of services for children and families. We take pride in continuing the legacy of our founding mothers in providing high quality, comprehensive early care and education for ALL children.
1 Person | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours